The Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS) for Small Businesses
With the latest in the Covid Pandemic and the devastating effect it has on Canadian small businesses, non-profit organizations, or charities who have seen a drop in revenue, the Canadian government has announced a subsidy to cover part of their commercial rent or property expenses, starting on September 27, 2020, until June 2021.
This small business rent subsidy will provide payments directly to qualifying renters and property owners, without requiring the participation of landlords.
If you, as a small business are eligible for the base subsidy, you may also be eligible for lockdown support if your business location is significantly affected by a public health order for a week or more.
Who can apply for the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy
To be eligible to receive the rent subsidy as a small business from the Canadian government, you must meet all four of the following criteria – you:
1. Meet at least one of these conditions:
- You had a CRA business number on September 27, 2020
- You had a payroll account on March 15, 2020, or another person or partnership made payroll remittances on your behalf
- You purchased the business assets of another person or partnership who meets condition 2 above, and have made an election under the special asset acquisition rules
- These special asset acquisition rules are the same for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS).
- You meet other prescribed conditions that might be introduced.
SEARCHES RELATED TO CANADA EMERGENCY RENT SUBSIDY
I WANT START A BUSINESS IN...
IS THERE HELP IN MY INDUSTRY?
- Expansion Capital
- Funding For Equipment
- Business Acquisition Funding
- Consulting Services
- Hiring & Training Staff
- Management Support Services
- Professional and IT Services
- Transportation and Warehousing
- Accommodation and Food Services
- Culture and Recreation
- Finance and Real Estate
- Forestry, Hunting and Fishing
- Health and Social Assistance